WorldTimeServer Clock

Nairobi

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Dave

You know that movie, "Dave?" It's the one where a guy, Dave, looks like the president and has to be the president for a while since the real president is in a coma and the bad guy wants to take office? Okay, so basically, there's this one part where Dave is in a room with the bad guy and some other guy, and the bad guy shakes Dave's hand. Then they leave the room, and just Dave remains. I was shocked!! Here in Kenya, if each person doesn't shake the other's hand, it's a huge insult and means that they are enemies. So me, having no enemies here, I shake everyone's hand, as is custom. If I'm walking with two people down the road, and we greet two people we know, each person must shake hands. Must. Count, that's six handshakes. And Dave didn't shake the other guy's hand. The craziest thing is that it actually bothered me. Which reminds me of two things: after (almost) four months, I'm very indocrinated into this culture, and when I return to my own culture, I'll have culture shock.
Dave didn't shake everyone's hand when coming out of the office, either. Tsk.

1 comment:

Re said...

..just prayed for Rispa and Emmanuel as you requested, RIGHT NOW before I forgot...remember the meaning of Emmanuel's name...no matter the outcome God is will us, Emmanuel, Son of Isreal...Remember what the angel said to Joseph, the husband of Mary? He said, "give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins" (Mt 1:21). The Savior is the Emmanuel and the Emmanuel is the Savior.

The birth of the Emmanuel means salvation from sin for everyone who believes (Rom 1:16), for everyone who opens their heart to Jesus.

... the birth of the Emmanuel means that God will not leave, forsake, or fail His people. The name "Emmanuel" is a watchword among God's people; it is a word of hope. No matter how desperate conditions become we know that God is with us.

Praying Rispa sees, feels and is encompassed by God, by the instruments He uses....you.

Humbled by your strength, Charisse