WorldTimeServer Clock

Nairobi

Monday, October 22, 2007

Chocolate, Soup Packets, and Pens

Christmas is approaching, and everyone is asking, "Can I send you something?" Well, yes, but I'll add a warning. Here, Kenya charges for delivery too. So when you send a package, I pay for it on my side, too. Please don't ask me why. The way they charge is as follows: they see the contents of the package and total up the current cost of the items here unless stated in dollars. From that, they charge me VAT tax, and a whole lot more. So there are a few measures to take. One, don't send something expensive. Two, find a way to not state the whole price of the package, ie sale price, garage sale price, etc. Three, if you send something in a padded envelope, then it prevents them from shopping and it also will get to me faster, probably not even needed to list the price value of the contents. Sending regular postal service is fine and safe. You don't need to use DHL.
That being cleared, some things I can use around here: some good chocolate, cream soup packets, mac and cheese packets, other processed things like that, good candy, kitchen knives (the cheap kind), any movies you don't want to watch (sorry, DVD only), socks, and pens, please. A 20 pack of Bic pens can go real far in the Maasai market. And if mailing isn't your thing, but you still want to give me a Christmas present, then you can also put money into my account and label it clearly "Personal Account."
It's October and I'm talking about Christmas. Enough of this.
Mt 1:23 'Behold, the Virgin shall be with child and shall bear a son and they shall call his name Immanuel,' which translated means "God with us."
Mo 1:23 'Tazama birika atachakua mimba, naye atamzaa mtoto wa kuime nao watamwita Imanueli,' maana yake "Mungu pamoja nasi."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Melissa! Your care team here :) We're wondering - if we were to send the flat, padded envelopes, do you need to pay to receive those too?

Anonymous said...

Hope all is going well over there. Just wanted to say I hope you're getting alot out of it and I am going to give Rob a bunch of pens for you! Take care and be safe.

Nick Rossi