WorldTimeServer Clock

Nairobi

Saturday, April 26, 2008

Packages and Teeth

Here in Africa, they say, “Hurry hurry gets you no blessing.”
They must have had the postal service in mind.
There are girls whose packages were sent as they were leaving on their six-month term and after they went home, still no mail. Of course, there are the people who get their package just in the knick of time to pack it up and take it home. Let me not forget those packages that had gotten sucked up into a black hole, never to be heard from again.
My packages did arrive, only two to three months after they were sent. Of course, those ugly little clashes didn’t expedite the delivery. But it was exciting to see the first manila envelope waiting for me. I had saved it because it was right before Christmas, so I didn’t open it until my house celebrated. I remembered being excited as I pulled out food of all sorts (since people love me and read my blog), especially chocolate. But I saw how some chocolate got on everything in the bag. I kept pulling more things out until my friend pointed out that the corner of the bag was ripped. Alas, it wasn’t ripped. Some rat had gnawed at the bag and ate some of the chocolate in it! We took pictures of the “evidence” so people would believe us. It was a real laugh!
So imagine how funny it was when the next package came in and had similar holes and teeth marks. But the next two?? I’m not sure if it was the Kenyan side or NJ side, but every package I got, a rat had eaten a corner off and helped itself to whatever rested there.
Welcome to missionary life.

No comments: