WorldTimeServer Clock

Nairobi

Saturday, April 26, 2008

Where?

SIM allows some days away from work where you can check out other ministries. So I used the opportunity to see another HIV/AIDS ministry across town. I was going to meet the missionary I would be staying with downtown at the Hilton Hotel. (Yes, they’re everywhere.) I knew that a couple buses went into town, but I wasn’t sure if it would pass the hotel. So I hailed a bus down, and as I was getting on, I asked the conductor in my Jersey accent, “Does this go to the Hilton?”
“What?” the man replied.
I remembered that we swallow our ‘t’s, so I said again, “Does this go to the Hilton?” this time stressing the ‘t’.
He still looked confused. “Where?”
Finally someone overhearing our conversation chimed in and said to the conductor, “The Heel-Ton.”
“Oh, the Heel-Ton. Yeah, this goes to the Heel-Ton.”
I would like to thank America for teaching me to not pronounce ‘t’s, and to Kenya for being completely phonetic and pronounce the ‘i’ as “ee”, even on an American word.

No comments: