WorldTimeServer Clock

Nairobi

Friday, November 16, 2007

Mrenda by lantern




I took a trip upcountry a week ago with some people from work. We had a long bus ride from Nairobi to western Kenya, near Lake Victoria. Over bumpy and broken roads, we traveled for way too long. The economy seats on airplanes have more space. From sitting next to the window, my hair was caked with smog and dust, which caused my hair to be stiffer than Aquanet could make it! But oh, once we got there, it was a whole new Kenya. It was quiet. It was dark. It was clean air. It was wonderful! I spent Friday night, Saturday, and Monday morning there. I skipped Sunday because I was sick all day in bed, which makes for fun times when it's raining out and the outhouse is more than a few yards away. Despite that, seeing upcountry was well worth it. No electricity, so we had our dinners by the glow of a lantern, which included mrenda, a most vile vegetable. It has the consistency of what runs out of children's noses, and I for one, could barely keep it down. Think slimy spinach. Even though I have a Luhya name, Mbone, I cannot nor will not ever eat mrenda again. Sorry to my faithful western brethren, but some things I physically cannot do. Sadly, I didn't get a picture of mrenda , but I did get some shots of the compound, the path to the spring to fetch water, and my friend's father's house with his niece in the forefront, in that order (if all goes well).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess the mrenda will solve your dilema with the Kenyan Ten ! I do pray you are done with your stomach upset. Love you, sister!

Celess said...

yumm... mrenda...send me some!! ha ha. Been praying for you!

Anonymous said...

...and I was just thinking of serving up some mrenda for Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow!