WorldTimeServer Clock

Nairobi

Sunday, March 16, 2008

1 Week, 26 Emails, and 11 Days

I have been at Kijabe (kee-jo-bee) for 1 week. I unpacked, taken a self-guided tour of the area and the hospital, ate at 3 people's homes, and became productive in the clinic here. It's hard for me to dive into something. I'm generally outgoing unless I don't feel comfortable. This is definately a case where I don't feel comfortable! I don't know where I am, where I fit, who I can talk to. But I made up my mind to be more outgoing right at the bat. I think that the approach, although out of my comfort zone, has helped me, along with the invaluable help of the Letchfords and Jane at work. They have taught me the workings of the area and the clinic, respectively. God is good, and after one week, I feel comfortable here. Of course, the next two weeks will be more testing while I begin going out into the community. So don't let the prayers stop now!
I told you that I wasn't sure about my internet access. Finally, on Sunday night, I get on. Waiting in my inbox is 26 messages!! I don't know whether to be overwhelmed or encouraged! Please, keep them coming, though I'm not sure how much energy I'll have to get on after my field work starts.
It's funny how I'll still be in training when Rob comes to work with me here. It will be my first week of being outside the clinics and in people's homes. So we'll learn together, which is not how I imagined it would be when he comes out, but God in His infinite humor, made it this way. Imagine, just 11 days until his arrival, and I still have to find him a bed to stay in at Kijabe...
Thanks for all your prayers, and I will try to keep you posted as I learn what my role will be here. No doubt, it will hold new challenges than my work in Kibera. I want to stay strong and persevere in them because I am sure this is where I'm supposed to be.
"Whatever my lot, thou has taught me to say, it is well, it is well with my soul."

No comments: