WorldTimeServer Clock

Nairobi

Thursday, March 27, 2008

So I went to Maasai land

On my community work, I went out to "Maasai Land." I have to tell you, it's a good thing I don't get paid for this or I'd feel guilty. The Maasai are the warriors who kill lions for their initiation. They have the big beaded jewelry, own lots of land, and have claim on one of the game parks for safaris. So we're in a double cab truck and I look outside my window to see the goats running out of our way, when alas, they aren't goats running--they're antelope. So I get happy as can be and cry out, "Antelope!" They (all being Kenyan) laugh and one says, "And you see there--giraffes." So I lunge to the other side of the car, squint as much as possible, and verily there are giraffes jutting out of the horizon. Five, maybe six of them. And I am in awe.
I love my work.

No comments: